Page updated: 7th January 2016
Now, click a link to view the coins....
One of the rights enjoyed by the Bishops of Durham as Palatine Princes was that of coining silver pennies and smaller denominations, a right maintained until 1536 when the mint was closed under Henry VIII. The ecclesiastical mint was situated on Palace Green, and it operated intermittently throughout Henry III’s reign. In terms of coins recovered from the Brussels hoard there were several periods of operation. The earliest phase saw coins issued coins under Ricard, and the last period under Roger. After the closure of the Brussels hoard coins were issued by Roberd/Robert (same person?) and by William. The initial minting of Henry III pennies may have been as late as June 1253, However Durham coins of 5a3 and 5b2 are known – old irons may have been used at first. The letter R on Durham coins can be different to that of other mints. There are no coins of 5d, 5e or 5f known from Durham. The mint reopened after a temporary closure about 1260 with a new moneyer, Roger, who was later replaced by William. William 5g coins of Durham are very rare. Finally, coins from a later moneyer, Robert/Roberd, are known for classes 6 and 7.
Reference : Allen, Martin Robert (1999), The Durham mint : the control, organization, profits and output of an ecclesiastical mint. Available as an e-thesis online, but which has been later updated and published in book form.